The Customs House (Toldboden)
Special exhibits of an historical nature are shown at the Customs House on Strandgade (Beach Street) next to the rear of Kerteminde Church.
The Customs House is one of the oldest buildings in town, built by Odense merchant Niels Bager about the year 1590, when Kerteminde functioned as the port of Odense.
During the Swedish War (1659), the occupying Swedish forces used the Customs House as their headquarters. The Danish-Dutch naval fleet attempted to recapture the town and shot cannonballs at the building, laying it in ruins. It was first rebuilt in 1735, the date seen on the front of the Customs House, though with two stories instead of the original three. Until 1800, it was the only secular masonry building in the town.
Special Exhibitions at the Customs House
There are three historical exhibitions held during the year.
During the summer months, June, July and August, an historical exhibition is mounted on a current historical subject.
In October, usually for two weeks that include the Fall Break (3rd week in Oct.) the Historical Museum and the local historical archives join forces to create an exhibition on an interesting topic with materials and artefacts from the whole area.
At the end of the year, in December, an exhibit shows off the new acquisitions the museums have been given or purchased in the course of the year.
Current special exhibitions at the Customs House:
None this month
Earlier special exhibitions at the Customs House
• Around about the Parish Councils
A group exhibition of the local archives in the Town of Kerteminde.
• “All around Funen – by Portrait” by Photographer Jørgen Jensen
• "Æbelø Island Pictures"
The historical summer exhibition has a strong artistic flavour. In May of 2007, the museum ship Rylen was on a weeklong trip to Æbelø Island (northern Funen) with several artists who specialize in interpreting nature. The exhibition displaed some of the works created during this special week on Æbelø Island and was at the same time a tribute to John Olsen and his current exhibition at the Johannes Larsen Museum.
• From Village Smithy to Modern
Industry: the Kverneland/Taarup
Factory in Light of the Year of Industrial Culture
• Around the Church: Churches on Northeast Funen
• Kerteminde in the Renaissance
• Behind the counter: Shops and Stores on Northeast Funen
• By the Fjord and the Belt: Photographs by Janne Klerk
• Community Centres on Northeast Funen
• Amanda: the Person and the Myth
• When the Beatles came to Town
• Dairies on Northeast Funen
• Kjerteminde News: 125 Years
• Fishermen in Kerteminde for the last 100 years
• While the Iron was Hot: Smithies on Northeast Funen
• Kerteminde School for 100 Years
• Mills on Northeast Funen
• Kerteminde, a Town by the Sea
• Seen a Bit from Above: Aerial Photography
• Kerteminde, Born from the Sea
• The Odense – Kerteminde – Martofte Railroad